Here is a non-exhaustive list of neuro-tech-related fields:
A prototype is mandatory.A proposal of the project should be submitted and approved at least 2 month prior.While re-doing existing projects is valuable, something ‘novel’ is expected. #NeuroInnovation
- Your body is the input: EEG, ECG, EMG, EOG, GSR, temperature, blood pressure, etc.
- Cognitive neuroscience
- Computational neuroscience
Replicating existing technologies is allowed and will not be undervalued.
A EEG dataset is suggested for software and EEG-oriented project but not mandatory.
The fixed challenge aims at increasing the general knowledge of neurotech students by challenging them to build a fully home-made acquisition pipeline for EEG signals, including the following five stages (stages 2 and 3 can be switched depending on stage 1), with variable constraints from year to year.
Each stage has specific objectives (italic items is required):
- Develop an home-made acquisition board, with at least 1 channel
- Total cost of board must not exceed 1000 USD (excluding R&D)
- Signal processing
- Focus on signal of interest (EEG) and remove artifacts and noise
- Data transmission
- Data must be acquired with a speed of at least 200 Hz
- Transmitted to a distant computer wirelessly or not
- Real-time visualization
- Real-time visualization of signal in the time and frequency domains, for each acquisition channel
- An “alpha mode” must enable the easy characterization of the alpha band power, following a open/close paradigm
- Data recording
- Data must be stored on a computer with appropriate data format for latter use
Link to 2018 competition rules
- Acquisition of EEG signal is recommended (pipeline could be presented with EMG or ECG).
- Acquisition chips such as ADS1299 are accepted.
- PCB are highly recommended (not mandatory).
- Open-source libraries for data transmission and visualization are allowed, full package such as OpenVibe are not allowed.